What is a Professional Magician?
A Professional is a person who is paid to undertake a specialised set of tasks and to complete them for a fee.
A Magician is an entertainer or performing artist who creates illusions of impossible or supernatural feats.
So, a Professional Magician is someone who entertains people with seemingly impossible feats for money.
Not a bad way to make a living if you can do it! I would go further and suggest that …
A Professional Magician is someone who makes their living from performing magic
By that I mean that they pay the mortgage and feed their children from the money that they make from entertaining people with their magic.
Why is this important?
Its important for several reasons.
- If you hire a professional magician, you are hiring someone whose livelihood is performing for people just like you. Performing at events like yours is what we do 9 to 5 (and beyond) every single day. This means that we are not going to let you down a couple of days before your big event because the cat just died. You would be surprised how many stressful calls we get because a cheap magician pulled out at the last minute.
- It’s should also be reassuring to know that we make our living doing this stuff. We are not amateurs who had a nice website designed. Imagine booking someone for your party, proudly introducing them to your guests, and then hearing that people can see how everything is done. No one wants that. There are more amateur magicians with websites than there are professionals! Be careful who you hire.
- You can’t be a professional magician unless you conduct yourself professionally. A professional magician must also be a business man. We spend the time when we are not performing working on our marketing, adverts, websites, responding to enquiries etc. If we don’t provide a fantastic service, we won’t be professional magicians for very long. We’ll be .. working in a supermarket .. or whatever it is that people do who haven’t spent their lives shuffling cards and vanishing finger rings.
- Public Liability insurance . This is vital! If anything should ever go wrong (it never has, but someone could get a nasty paper-cut from a playing card one day!) you will have the best people in the business to help you. My entertainment is backed up by a £10 Million insurance policy.
- A rock solid Guarantee. This one even sets me apart from most other professional magicians. It’s very rare to find such an up front and confident guarantee from any form of entertainment.
- Professional magicians are just better than amateur magicians. Sorry, but it’s true. An amateur is someone who would love to be professional. They’re just not confident enough in their abilities to get out there, perform, and bring in enough money for their families. Is that the sort of person you want entertaining your guests? Or do you want someone who took the bull by the horns and did it?
- Finally, a professional magician pays his taxes. This may not matter to some, but amateur magicians supplement their day jobs with a bit of extra cash in hand work. Magicians who run a professional service are not dodging the tax man. They are contributing back to society from the income they generate from their performances.
Check Damian’s availability for your event
< other styles of magic